In an American Red Cross Lifeguarding course you will learn all of the skills necessary to be a certified Lifeguard. The purpose of the American Red Cross Certification is to teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Upon completion of the course, you will receive a 2-year certification for Lifeguarding, CPR, First-aid and AED.
The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and to prevent drowning and injuries.
- 15 Years of age on or before the final day of the course
- 300 Yard swim using Freestyle or Breast Stroke with Rhythmic Breathing
- Must be free from physical and mental impairments that would limit them from accomplishing specific tasks. Tasks include visual acuity, various audio ranges, and the ability to lift, unaided, 50 pounds.
- 100% attendance is mandatory (NON-NEGOTIABLE). Each class will consist of classroom and pool activities.
- 10 lb brick retrieval from deep water in less than 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Swim on back for 20 yards holding brick without hands
- Set brick on side of pool and exit pool without use of a ladder.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
Cost is $200 for members and $250 for nonmembers
Thursday, June 1 – 5-9PM
Friday, June 2 – 5-9PM
Saturday, June 3 – 7am-7pm
Sunday, June 4 – 7am-1pm (*Until Finished* Depending on class size it may vary)
1) Please stop by the YMCA to get your name into the system at our front desk. This course is a first come, first serve registration. Please ask the front desk to register for the “June Lifeguard Certification Course”. There will be no charge up front for the course but you must make payment after the Day one pre test completion.
2) If the class fills past 10 slots, a wait list will be created. You will be allowed to test for the course but will only be added to the roster if a slot opens up due to a prerequisite failure.
The Y strives to train the best lifeguards around in an effort to hire directly from our courses. We are dedicated to providing the best staff to ensure the safety of our members and guests while in the pool. If you would like to apply to become a lifeguard, please view our current openings or email our Senior Aquatics Director, Lance.