HELP SAVE LIVES!
In an American Red Cross Lifeguarding course you will learn all of the skills necessary to be a certified Lifeguard. The purpose of the American Red Cross Certification is to teach participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Upon completion of the course, you will receive a 2-year certification for Lifeguarding, CPR, First-aid and AED.
The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and to prevent drowning and injuries.
- 15 Years of age on or before the final day of the course
- 300 Yard swim using Freestyle or Breast Stroke with Rhythmic Breathing
- Must be free from physical and mental impairments that would limit them from accomplishing specific tasks. Tasks include visual acuity, various audio ranges, and the ability to lift, unaided, 50 pounds.
- 100% attendance is mandatory (NON-NEGOTIABLE). Each class will consist of classroom and pool activities.
- 10 lb brick retrieval from deep water in less than 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Swim on back for 20 yards holding brick without hands
- Set brick on side of pool and exit pool without use of a ladder.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
Cost is $200 for members and $250 for nonmembers
Course Dates to be Announced Soon
The Y strives to train the best lifeguards around in an effort to hire directly from our courses. We are dedicated to providing the best staff to ensure the safety of our members and guests while in the pool. If you would like to apply to become a lifeguard, please view our current openings or email our Senior Aquatics Director, Lance.